Saturday, July 28, 2007

Wikipedia to Chinese Gov't: Take a Hike

I was just reading an ancient Maximum PC magazine, when I stumbled across this headline: China vs. Wikipedia. The item talks about how China requested censorship of some of Wikipedia's pages, and they responded with a resounding "no." Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia, said that he stands "for the freedom of information, and for us to compromise that would send very much the wrong signal: that there's no one left on the planet who's willing to say, 'You know what? We're not going to give up.'"

Way to go Jimmy! I wish Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft shared your sentiments. I'm sick of seeing websites "cooperate" with a totalitarian regime that seeks to enslave its own citizens. When more people start thinking like Jimmy, the internet and the world will become a better place.



Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous altdas said...

I'm quite glad Wikipedia said no. I'm fairly against China. All communist and left wing governments at that.

I wish Google said the same thing, when they started out, they probably would have said no, but there minds have changed over time.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 2:05:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home