Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Ubuntu Experience, Part 3

PC World recently did a feature article on Operating Systems, and named Ubuntu as their favorite Linux distribution. I decided to document my experience working with Ubuntu, and this final article, Part 3, will compare Ubuntu to Wndows XP Pro SP2. I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu, 6.10.

Categories

User Interface

Windows: 7/10
Ubuntu: 9/10

Ubuntu's interface is much more polished and clean, which makes it not only easier to use but much nicer to look at too.

Applications

Windows: 8/10
Ubuntu: 6/10

Obviously Ubuntu does not have the vast amount of applications that Windows has, but the applications themselves are worth it. I took off another point because of the lack of any real games.

Reliability

Windows: 7/10
Ubuntu: 5/10

Ouch! Here's why I'm still using Windows: it crashes a lot less often than Ubuntu, and when it does, it doesn't require a reboot. This needs fixing.

Security

Windows: 6/10
Ubuntu: 10/10

Ubuntu's security shines, and it beats the pants off any other OS. Security updates show up extremely quickly (with Windows Auto Updates, you could wait up to a month).

Customizability

Windows: 8/10
Ubuntu: 10/10

Again, Ubuntu wins. The amount of customizability in Ubuntu is amazing: I spent a few days just playing with different OS settings, not necessarily because I needed to, but because it was fun ;).

Bottom Line

Windows: 2
Ubuntu: 3

That's right my friends, Ubuntu wins this contest by a hair. Unfortunately, reliability is really important, and form what I have seen of Ubuntu, it doesn't measure up. I'm still using Windows until this changes.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wonder which programs crash under Ubuntu, I never experienced something required rebooting. (And I run the development version since breezy.)

I would be interested in some details ...

Sunday, April 01, 2007 4:47:00 AM PST  
Blogger Subiet said...

i have been heavily using ubuntu for past 2 years, and i remember only abt 5 times, where i had to hard reboot, out of which 4 were within one hour, when i was trying to get my video card run in breezy badger. estimated running time, 2 (2 years) *300 (300 days in a year) * 4 hours (approx). So you probably got something wrong. anyway alt + sysRq + RSEIB combination or a part of it, should help you if really get stuck sometime, and still want a soft way to get out.

Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:42:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home