Monday, February 12, 2007

Free 3D MMORPG is Open Source

PlaneShift is a full 3D fantasy MMORPG that looks like it could be the next RuneScape. I ain't kidding. It's amazing.


However, I do have some thoughts about it, and some feedback for the dev team (which is everyone, since it's open-source):

Stuff I love:
  • Few n00bs around
  • Good roleplayers online often
  • Nice graphic quality and level design
  • Lots of character options (and I mean lots)
  • On-demand advice from real people
Stuff I hate:
  • No tutorial
  • No items to start with
  • Steep learning curve
  • Death Realm (more on this later)
  • Server unreliability
  • MASSIVE download required



Now, about that death realm thing. It seems the dev team, instead of having your character spawn somewhere when killed, decided to make a "realm" known as the death realm where you go when you die. You then must explore the realm and find a skull portal that takes you back to the land of the living.

Certainly an original idea, but that doesn't make it a good one. I explored that place for almost an hour and found nothing. It was enough to ruin the game for me.


Needless to say, however, I was impressed. I highly recommend PlaneShift for any avid MMORPG player, but don't expect it to easy.

Labels: , , , , ,