Monday, December 12, 2005

Alterations Done Right

With the release of the XBox 360, fans went wild over the enhanced hi-def graphics effects and incredible processing power. But when I checked it out, I was disappointed.

Was it because I wanted it to have five CPUs instead of three? Did it need higher power? Faster gameplay? Rapid response? Cooler looking case?

Actually, none of those answers is correct.

When Microsoft planned to revamp the XBox, all they thought about was performance. They didn't consider how people would experince the machine. They didn't think about how games would be played.

How do I know? Let's see. What is the single error Microsoft made with the XBox? The controller sucked, and there were no good games for it; Microsoft depended almost completely on outsiders to complete the library (with the exception of the Halo series).

So what got changed (out of those two things) in the XBox 360? Neither. The controller is almost identical (minus some cosmetic changes) and the library, once again, sucks.

Fortunately, not everyone is forced to buy a SucksBox 360. Just wait and buy the Nintendo Revolution.

Both of the problems Microsoft had are fixed bigtime with the Revolution. A new, innovative and totally original controller has been developed, expanding the medium Nintendo has to offer by truckloads. All the previous platforms' games will be available free, guaranteeing happy customers right off the bat ("Buy the Revolution, get Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, plus dozens more, free!), and Nintendo isn't leaning on any outside studios to develop their series for them.

Why can't Microsoft figure it out? I have long been a loyal customer of Microsoft's products, but I have to admit: they're technologists. All they care about is how fast it runs, how good it looks, how "cool" it is. But they don't even consider how people use their products, or what the people want.

For example: I want a slick, clean OS that can handle internet well, and be fully customizable. Which one will I use? Now that I've faced facts, I'll go for Linux.

Another example: I want a slick, clean gaming platform with innovative and entertaining games. Will I get an XBox? Take a guess.

What Sony does about their PS3 controller and game library is yet to be seen. From what I have heard, they don't plan to change their controller or add any new game series. If they don't, they certainly won't be getting my business.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Levingston said...

i think your a little off about the 'free games' on the rev.

if you were talking about backwards compatability, then yes, free as the wind.

the downloads do cost money the last time i checked. (recently) BUT the online play is 1000% free. i'd take the online over the downloads for the first few games (super smash rev.)

but thats just me

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 1:37:00 PM PST  
Blogger BusterBot858 said...

No, the downloads of previous systems' games are free over the no-charge internet service to be included with the Revolution.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 2:32:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mr. Levingston said...

can you link me to where you heard that? cuz i read at nintendo.com that Mr. Iowata (sp) says that the downloads for previous games are gonna cost a small fee.

Friday, December 16, 2005 9:43:00 AM PST  
Blogger BusterBot858 said...

I don't have a link :o. I thought it would be free. Please post the link to the Nintendo thing you saw so I can check this out.

Friday, December 16, 2005 11:45:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home