Monday, October 24, 2005

Control the Chaos: Part II

Controllers are one of the most important aspects of a good game. If you missed part I, I looked at different controls that are used in video games. Some things I forgot:
  • Trackball. The trackball is a so-so substitute for a mouse, enabling point-and-click to come to arcade machines. Some very successful games such as Missle Command used trackballs.
  • Numpad. Although these are usually included on keyboards, they need special recognition in that they are mapped in a perfect grid, allowing some cool setups.
Now I will analyze some different controllers for video games.
  • Atari Joystick. Obviously the most basic joystick ever invented. One stick, one button. Not much simpler do they get.
  • Nintendo Entertainment System. Four buttons and a D-Pad. Still pretty basic here.
  • Nintendo 64. This was a major improvement on other controllers in that it had multiple triggers, buttons, and joysticks.
  • Palm Pilot 5000. Okay, not a game controller, but still controls, right? Touch screen, wheel, and buttons. Great handwriting recog. for the time.
  • Playstation 2. This is another great controller, of which there have been a few spinoffs by other companies for PC, like Logitech. Two sticks, four triggers, a D-pad and buttons.
  • Gameboy Advance. This was the first excellent portable gaming system, which utilized two triggers, a D-pad, and some buttons.
  • XBOX. This controller sucks. Bigtime. How can you remember which joystick does what while your hanging on a ledge? Oops, wrong one. Game over. Two sticks, two triggers, d-pad, and buttons.
  • Logitech MX 700. This is actually a mouse, but it's totally awesome. Forward and back buttons, scroll wheel, cruise buttons (for scrolling), and fast program switch. And it's wireless! My mom bought one, and my dad was so impressed he bought one for work.
  • Nintendo DS. Finally, a microphone and touch screen on a game controller! Also two triggers, four buttons, and a D-pad.
  • PSP. Ouch! Bad controller. Two triggers, four buttons, a D-pad, and a pseudo-joystick thingy. Not cool, not original.
I realize I have probably left some really cool controllers off the list, but my goal was to give you a good sampling, which hopefully I did. Were there any other controllers that you would have liked to see?

P.S. Sorry I haven't been around much. My mom changed her password, and I just re-cracked it (I'm working on a program to steal it so next time she changes it I won't be gone so long *cops music* ).

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Levingston said...

ha ha, you hack that computer!

anyway, yes... i'm sure you did miss some controllers, but im not complaining. =D

Thursday, October 27, 2005 2:34:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home